$25.73 billion – that will be the size of the online language learning market by 2027, per Verified Market Research report. From $12.49 billion, this is equivalent to a CAGR of 10.2% from 2020 to 2027, which is huge! In Europe and the UK, respectively, 92% and 70% of students are enrolled in language classes, while those numbers are 20% and 13% in the US and China.
These stats make sense as the demand for language learning has been growing exponentially. Although it’s a challenge to learn a new language, especially once we’re past 18 years old, new technologies like artificial intelligence (AI) have made it a lot easier. AI makes language education accessible and free to everyone, and with a potent mix of personalized learning, immediate feedback, and gamification/rewards – fun as well.
Role of AI in Language Learning Experience
Discussions around AI are often centered on the idea of a humanoid robot. In reality, most AI applications have nothing to do with robots or replicating human cognition; instead, they leverage the vast computational capabilities of modern computers to solve problems in a much more effective way than a human can.
AI can make digital language learning personalized to each learner: reducing the time, cost, and frustration. And everyone can benefit. Enterprises can use AI-infused language learning solutions to upgrade employee skillsets. Learners can leverage the 24/7 accessibility of AI language learning to study anytime, anywhere. Even traditional schools can incorporate AI in English Language Training (ELT) and other language learning to expand their students’ horizons.
Let’s take a closer look at what benefits AI in learning can offer:
- Adapting to individual needs
AI collects a lot of data. When analyzed, it acts as a powerful tool in the hands of educators to understand the interests and abilities of the learners and design effective programs. In a traditional classroom, it’s extremely challenging for an instructor to find the right approach for each student. But suppose AI is integrated into the learning process. In that case, learners can learn at their own pace, repeating lessons, emphasizing things they have trouble with, and engaging in tasks that appeal to them with the right cultural nuances.
- Instant feedback
With the AI-powered language learning platform, learners don’t have to wait for someone to grade tests and come back to them; they can get instant feedback. AI can instantly point out errors and suggest ways to avoid them in the future, resulting in better performance. From the data, even instructors can see what can be improved in their lectures or practical assignments, what questions are misleading, and which learners need additional guidance.
- Suitable for all kinds of learners
Some learners are introverts and are shy to ask questions or receive feedback publicly, per the common feedback from ELT classes. AI-infused English language learning software or other language platforms help such learners tremendously through objective one-on-one feedbacks without any biases or judgements.
- A redefined role for instructors
Contrary to popular opinion, AI-based language learning platforms won’t take away the jobs of instructors. Instead, with AI language learning doing the grading and the paperwork, ELT and other language instructors will have more time to coordinate the learning process and mentor students. They can also don the hat of data scientists themselves and analyze and use the data to design innovative learning processes and experiences.
- Deeper involvement of learners
With AI, learners can learn from anywhere at their own pace. Additionally, through innovative features like games, puzzles, or other exploratory activities, they will become more engaged in the learning process than traditional learning.
Applications of AI in Language Learning
1. Vocabulary building: Advanced new machine learning models have made significant progress in teaching grammar, syntax, and other linguistic principles. A popular language learning app offers a skill tree of lessons that uses listening exercises, flashcards, and multiple-choice questions to build learners’ vocabulary. Yet another app has a feature called “Learn with Locals,” which pairs words with videos of native speakers saying the phrase out loud. Some apps also use data patterns to great effect with a concept called spaced repetition, where lessons are delivered over longer intervals by increasing the gap between practice sessions. This greatly aids in vocabulary building in contrast to the traditional methods of several lessons crammed in over a short period.
2. Voice recognition: Speech or voice recognition technologies can aid significantly in learning a new language as they help learners finetune their intonation and pronunciation. And practicing with an English language learning software or app, for that matter, can also take away some of the intimidation element of talking to a native speaker. For example, a multilingual app has a speech recognition feature that lets you speak words back during an exercise. Similarly, another language app tests your speaking skills with a simulated conversation – you’ll hear a prompt spoken by a native speaker and will also see the words and their translations on the screen.
3. Automated essay scoring (AES): This involves using specialized computer programs, such as Natural Language Programming (NLP), to assign grades to essays for evaluation processes. One such tool uses a machine learning model that learns from a set of responses previously determined by experts. The model takes into account syntactic, rhetorical, and concept features of a written piece. It also focuses on the sentence structure, elaboration technique, organization, and focus of the overall essay to give a final score. Another point to note here is that in the past, the digital applications were not able to provide feedback on spoken and written English. Today’s advanced AI models can recognize patterns in speech recognition and assessments to give personalized feedback.
4. Analytics: Most language learning apps and specially designed English language learning software use analytics to offer exceptional learning experiences. Some learners prefer to learn during the weekends while some would like to cram everything in their schedule on weekdays to leave their weekends free. Various learning apps AI algorithms can spot these patterns to deliver personalized learning lessons – whether it’s bite-size snackable videos or long text chunks.
Language skills remain essential to everyday life, whether it’s communicating with friends, family, or in a business context. Learning, in general, is also good for mental well-being as besides helping us connect with the wider world and other cultures, it’s an excellent booster for brain, self-esteem, and confidence.
Advancements in AI will only make learning languages better. Technology adds vibrancy to language learning that enables us to learn more quickly and easily than ever before. Today’s language learning apps’ proprietary machine learning algorithms mean there’s no need for language experts to spend a lot of time on the structure and order of teaching, leaving enough time for instructors to innovate and learners to learn effectively.
A reliable digital learning company can make the language learning experience effortless and help organizations and learners adapt to the most recent and relevant digital learning content delivery methodologies and mediums. Liqvid is a pioneer in English language learning technology and content solutions. We recently launched the world’s first AI-based language learning product called Vocabulary Builder for learners training for competitive English language exams like IELTS, TOFEL, GRE, etc.
Contact us today to see how we can create interactive language learning experiences for you!